Starting in the 2020 Season, the Interstate Box Lacrosse Association has partnered with the National Lacrosse League, providing a stepping stone for players, coaches, and officials looking to make the jump to the NLL. Therefore, the IBLA will use NLL rules starting in the 2020 season, but is encouraged by to experiment with minor rule variances which are listed below.
RULE VARIANCES ALLOWED IN IBLA :
- CLA OR PRO STYLE MASKS MAY BE USED.
- 4x4'6 or 4x4'9 GOALS MAY BE USED.
- WOOD STICKS AND LARGE GOALIE STICKS MAY BE USED.
- 3 PERIODS OR 4 QUARTERS MAY BE USED (IBLA NATIONALS WILL BE PERIODS in 2021)
FLOOR LINES VARIANCES:
- 9 OR 9.3 CREASES MAY BE USED.
- THERE IS NO OVER AND BACK VIOLATIONS
- RESTRAINING LINES SHALL BE 11 FEET FROM THE FACE-OFF.
- WHEN RESTRAINING LINES ARE NOT AVAILABLE 11 FEET FROM THE FACE-0FF, LONGER DISTANCES ARE ALLOWED.
- 2 MINUTES BREAKS, 10 MINUTES OF STOP TIME PLAY TOTAL
- GAME WILL BE DEEMED A TIE AFTER 10 MINUTES, IF SCORE IS TIE.
- * FOR PLAYOFFS, REPEAT THE 10 MINUTES UNTIL A WINNER IS ESTABLISHED.
- * FOR NATIONALS IN POOL PLAY, 15 MINUTE SUDDEN DEATH. FOR SINGLE ELIMINATION GAMES, 15 MINUTES OF NON-SUDDEN DEATH. REPEAT UNTIL WINNER.
STANDINGS SYSTEM/TIEBREAK FORMULA:
1. POINTS (2 POINTS FOR WIN, 1 POINT FOR OT LOSS AND TIES)
2. HEAD TWO HEAD
3. GOALS AGAINST
4. GOALS FOR
5. LEAST AMOUNT OF OT LOSSES
Noteworthy new rules
(Changes from 2016-2019 (CLA Rules compared to 2020+ (NLL Rules) :
- Diving is Allowed
- Face-off clamps are allowed
- Shot clock runs on man-down kill
(Other changes and all rules are available above in rulebook link).
Rules that concern TV timeouts and instant replay are not applicable.